Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Happy Birthday tickers
Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Happy Birthday tickers

Thursday, November 15, 2007

Sixty & Sensational

With the hustle and bustle of planning Olivia's first birthday party my mother's recent milestone birthday was almost overlooked! This was the year of the big 6-0! Many months ago I asked her if she wanted to do anything special...and she quickly answered NO! Her reasoning was because she was going to be too busy planning Olivia's party and she did not feel it was necessary to make a fuss. Although I disagreed I told her that it was ultimately her decision. Well I didn't listen and I immediately started planning a fantastic party to celebrate Judy turning sixty!

With the help of her friends we were able to pull off a party to remember! Her close friend Helen offered her home in which to hold the fete. We disguised the event as a party for Helen, who celebrates her Birthday just one week later. It was the perfect cover and an easy way to get my Mom to her party without being suspicious. My dear friend Korrie came up with the fabulous idea of giving the party a theme. She thought it would be neat to throw a pink party, in honor of breast cancer. We asked all of the guests to come wearing something pink. We also suggested that in lieu of gifts they make a donation, in my mother's name, to the Vera Bradley Breast Cancer Foundation. Since my Mom really does not need anything I knew she would be thrilled to know that we were raising money for a cause that is so close to her heart. Of course she still received a bottle of wine from just about everyone who attended...are you surprised?

Not only did Korrie design the classy invitations for the party she also made an amazing cake! On top of that was able to get Vera Bradley to donate party favors and decorations. Once they heard about the theme party and the fact that we were raising money for their foundation, they jumped at the chance to participate. Each guest got to take home a notepad and a card holder. They also gave my Mom a backpack in their breast Cancer Foundation signature design...amazing!

So after weeks of planning and trying very hard to make sure no one spilled the beans...the time came to surprise my Mom. The party fell on the same weekend as Olivia's 1st Birthday party, so my Mom was too busy to notice if anything strange was going on. We had family in town for Olivia's party, but they were also in town to attend the big 6-0 party...little to my Mom's knowledge. I had everyone arrived at Helen's by 6:30 and by 7 my Mom was arriving with my Grandma & Uncle. She was not surprised to see Helen's house full of people since she knew she was coming to a Birthday party...but she was more than surprised when we announced that the party was for her...Happy Birthday!

She was in complete shock! We explained why everyone was wearing pink and the purpose behind the theme. She was quite touched and thought it was a great idea for a fabulous cause. I provided a full dinner...catered by Casa's. We had a wonderful evening of food, friends and of course...good wine! Here are a few shots from the party...

Mom & daughter...
Our host...
Ladies in pink...

Four Generations...

Good friends & good wine...
Tough guys wear pink...
The pink family...
Thank you to everyone for helping to pull this off. I knew it would be tough to keep a big secret like this...but we did it and it turned out perfectly! Thank you to Helen for opening her home to all of us. And a BIG thanks to Korrie, for being the brains and creative force behind this unique idea. Without her it would have just been a simple birthday party. Here is a great shot of all the Pink Ladies...excluding my Mom...as she had not yet arrived. I wish we would have thought to take another picture once she joined the party!

When it was all said and done we raised close to $600! My Mom was so grateful to everyone, not only for their generosity, but for being such amazing friends! All night she kept saying how blessed she was to have so many amazing people in her life...and she is right! I think even though she said she did not want anyone to make a fuss on her 60th birthday, she was thrilled that a fuss was made

So cheers to you Mom! You deserved this party for so many reasons. You are an amazing mother...a loving Nana to Olivia...and a caring and supportive friend to so many. You truly are sixty & sensational!

4 comments:

Wormie said...

and let's not forget that Judy has such a thoughtful and loving daughter to plan such a great party! It truly was wonderful!

Anonymous said...

It was an amazing party, and Jess did a spectacular job. I do not think I have ever been so surprised. However, between the party and this blog, how am I supposed to be able to get away with lying about my age?
Love,
Mom & Nana

Kim said...

Looks like a great time was had by all.

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful party Judy had and I am so happy that it ended up being such a surprise. I wish I could have been there. Its not every day your MUCH OLDER sister turns 60 in fact I told her I will now refer to her as my mom she is too old to be just my sister....Love Aunt Sue Sue (the young one)